Monday, August 11, 2014

Progress....

Finally!  I feel like my foot is getting a teeny bit better.  I've was able to walk a little more this week and without too much pain.  Yippee!  I even braved a couple of stores this weekend with the kiddos for back to school shopping...something I wouldn't normally do during the Texas tax-free weekend.  But for the past two weekends, I just could not get out and do much walking.   I was beginning to feel very behind schedule on the back to school shopping!

I also braved the pool for the first time since breaking my foot.  The Kiddo and I went early on Sunday morning in order to beat the crowds and pretty much had the whole place to ourselves.  I was a little hesitant to get into the pool.  I sat on a lounge chair, removed my orthopedic shoe and then very carefully moved to the side of the pool.  I managed to slowly lower myself into the pool and land on the good foot.

Turns out that this is my happy place right now!

I used my pool bouy, so that I wouldn't feel compelled to kick and off I went.  I managed to get in 1,000 yards without much more than a bit of achiness in the foot.  Of course there was a bit of chatting with the Kiddo and watching her swim (and do handstands) between the laps.  But overall, I am so happy to be doing something other than crunches and weights in my living room!  Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this about swimming, it felt great!!!!  In fact, I may or may not have had a smile on my face as I was swimming that first 25 yards.

The kiddo gave me a high five after the first lap, which was priceless.  She swam 500 between her handstands and "surfing" on the kickboard.

My little fish and big supporter

Getting out of the pool was a bit trickier than getting in.  I pulled myself up onto the side of the pool and just sat there for a second wondering, "what now?"  I was thankful that we had the pool to ourselves, because I kind of scooted closer to the lounge chair, grabbed my towel and shoe, dried off my foot and put the shoe on.  Then, I was able to stand up.  It was interesting to say the least!  I guess I could have hopped up the stairs in the pool, but then I would have had to hobble my way over to our towels.  I'll have to plan this part a little better next time.

So, there's been some progress.  It's not biking or running, but I'll take it!

No comments: