Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Training Update

It's hard to believe that last week marked the end of my 3rd month of training!  It was a recovery week and I took the recovery a bit farther than planned.  With the pains I've been experiencing in my right leg - quad, inner thigh/groin and hip, I decided to skip a bike and run workout and only swim in the last half of the week.

We're getting close!

We had a mock tri scheduled for Saturday, but due to some prior commitments, I ended up starting a little earlier in the morning and doing the bike/run portion on my own (I had to skip the swim).  Not a true mock tri, but it was still a solid 5 hour workout.   I wish I could say my attitude was good, but I was having one of those "Why am I doing this?", "I don't wanna ride my bike or run today", "Ironman is stupid" kind of mornings. I don't have these thoughts often, but it does happen from time to time.  My run was pretty solid, but my bike lacked any and all enthusiasm. It was more of a "just get this damn workout done" ride. My pace was slow and I felt sort of blah, but I finished the 4 hour ride.  And, my right leg felt pretty good!  I think the extra rest, while hard to do, helped a lot.

My attitude was crap during my bike ride, but at least the weather was gorgeous!

I arrived home and learned that our dryer had stopped working. Sigh. The Hubs had to go to work, so I ended up hauling 3 loads of wet laundry and the two kids to the nearest laundromat. I had no idea there were still laundromats to begin with...thank God there are!  And, they no longer use quarters!  The lady loading the dryer next to me must have seen the strange look on my face when I was trying to figure out where to insert the money, because she was nice enough to explain to me how to use the machine. (You have to  insert your cash or credit card into a different machine and get pre-paid wash card. Doh!)  As you can imagine, that made for a fun afternoon...okay, not really.

This is where my quarters ended up going....

Other than some stretching and foam rolling, yesterday was a true rest day.  The weather was gorgeous, so the Hubs and I took advantage of it and met my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and nephew at a nearby wine festival.  I've decided that I am going to try my best to make the most of those rest days!  Unfortunately, we had yard work to do when we arrived home, but at least we were still enjoying the nice weather in the process of pulling weeds. :-)

His and hers beverages...
Me and the Hubs chillaxin' at the Wine Fest
This has become our tradition...Hubs goes to the festival for me, we grab some crawfish for him

This week (and for the next few weeks), the training is really ramping up.  It's going to be interesting trying to figure out how to fit everything in.  All of the workouts are now over an hour, so squeezing them in before work could be difficult.  I may be setting my alarm clock for 3:30 am, so I can be in the shower by 5:15 am.  Yikes!  And then there's the after work workout.  I might be doing good to stay up later than the kids. 

I'm just taking it one day at a time, one workout at a time....

No comments: