Sunday, February 27, 2011

Road Trip

This past weekend I had to travel to Louisiana for work. Yes, I said weekend. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes it difficult to train for that 70.3 coming up in April. Not complaining, just stating the facts...work pays for triathlons and all the stuff that comes with them, so it's definitely higher on the priority list. ;-)

We were at the LSU campus to be exact. I didn't get in a workout on Friday due to working late on Thursday and then packing until 11:30 pm...getting up at 4:30 am the next morning didn't sound appealing. And, we had a reception on the campus to attend that evening. Next was dinner and before I knew it, it was 11:30 pm. Whew, what a day! Saturday was a somewhat busy day of interviews, but I had some free time in the afternoon. I had planned on riding the stationary bike in the hotel fitness center for a couple of hours. Not exciting, but I'd be getting that workout done.

Guess what?

There was no stationary bike at the hotel fitness room!

Scratch that. I did some weights and then headed out to do some shopping instead. (Does that count as a workout?)

On Sunday I didn't have anywhere to be until 11 am, so I headed out for a run around the lakes. A lap around both of the lakes near campus was almost exactly 6 miles. It was hot, humid and windy, but I got'er done. (1:02 and some change, ~10:22 pace) Oh, and I seemed to choose the direction that had the uphill portions with no downhill! Weird.

Here's a view of the pretty lake...it was nice to have something scenic to look for a change. Not that looking at houses in my neighborhood isn't scenic....



I also spotted this tiger on my route...I am still a little bitter about A&M's loss to LSU in the Cotton Bowl last year, so I wasn't sure I wanted to post this.



So that was my weekend. I have to head out of town again this week for 2 days of training. This time I called ahead to make sure there was a stationary bike in the fitness center...otherwise, I'd be bringing my bike and trainer to the hotel. I'm still trying to figure out when I will get back to the pool for some laps...hopefully, I can squeeze in an hour or two this weekend along with a nice, long bike ride!

No comments: