Saturday, March 10, 2007

What a week

Well, by Tuesday the kidding was awesome again. However, by that evening, it was my turn to have a much less severe version of the nasty stomach flu. Luckily, I was feeling much better by Thursday, because I had a mid-term to study for! So, I woke up at 4 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to cram. Thursday and Friday I stayed up as late as I could doing the same. I hate cramming. I prefer to take my time preparing for an exam and going in feeling confident. Oh well, the test is over and I think I managed to do pretty well...3 pages front and back of what I hope will be a collection of A-worthy essays. I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case! (and no, I do not use "..." when writing essays for school!) I reserve those for my blogging.

While it sucks to be in class all day when the weather is beautiful, we did get out of our 1st class early. Some of my classmates decided to head over to the Black Labrador for lunch so we could sit out on the patio and enjoy the day. Yes that's right, the Black Lab does serve food! Something I never realized, even after my handful of visits there during college. The only downfall to sitting on the patio under the shade of trees would be the birds. Yep, one of my classmates received a lovely suprise from one of them. At least it landed on his notebook and not his head! :-) Oh, the other downfall would be that you have to eventually get up and head back to class..which happens to be in a windowless basement. bummer.

The in-laws are in town again this weekend and they took the kiddo to visit her cousins. They weren't planning to return until after 7 pm, so after class I headed over to Memorial. I planned to run 3 loops, but I didn't realize how hot it was going to be! When I left the campus, the temperature was 84. Yikes! I immediately wished I had packed a sleeves tank in my back of running gear. I remembered the new Target on I-10 and made a quick stop for a new running shirt....a girl can never have too many!

I headed out for my 1st loop, realizing that I had not had much water all day. I try to cut back on the water during class...otherwise, I'd be back & forth to the bathroom the entire time. I don't think my professors would appreciate that. I also suddenly felt the last few days of sleep deprivation kicking in. My pace was slower than it has been in the past few weeks. I around the loop and to the mile 3 marker in 33:11. Amazing what 20 degrees will to do you.

And yes, I admitted it last summer and I might as well admit it again...I hate heat! Whiner, weenie, wuss...go ahead and call me those, because I am all three. I slip in to whiner mode the minute the temps go above 75. So get ready. I'm just preparing you. I promise, I'll try to hold back. But, here I am whining about 84 degree temps, when in just a month or two 84 will be the daily low! Sigh. I hate the heat. Really. I am NOT one of those people who say, "Oh, I love to sweat! It really makes me feel like I had a great workout!". I don't need the heat and sweat to tell me I had a good workout. Just some tired muscles will do the trick, thankyouverymuch!

So anywho....sorry for the tangent. Do you know what I did? Don't laugh. I went home, cranked up the A/C and did the remaining 6 miles on the dreadmill. Yes, that's right. I spent this beautiful day on the treadmill. Watching trash TV too. It was actually kind of terrific. About the time I finished, the inlaws were pulling in the driveway. Perfect timing, gotta love that.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Lab is my favorite place to eat! And the food - particularly shepherd's pie - is awesome.

Never played any chess there but the kids love to play with the pieces. That is a great place to take kids because since it is a little noisier there and most people are drinking, they don't even notice the antics my little cherubs are up to.

Junie B said...

i was hoping to 'run' into you this morning at Memorial... :O(

J~Mom said...

Sorry about the heat! The temps are creeping up here as well but I like it. For some reason I feel like my muscles never get warm in the cold. But with that said I am not looking forward to 100+ temps that are coming fast!

Sam said...

Until I meet you in person, I won't call you any names....but I'll keep them in the hopper, just awaiting appropriate use. :P

Glad you got the miles in, even if it was inside. :)