Saturday, September 08, 2012

What I've been up to...



TRX
I finally started TRX!  This week should have been my 4th week of TRX, but I'll save the story about why it wasn't my 4th week for the next subject. 
 
I was a bit nervous about trying TRX.  I mean, I've tried a lot of new workouts over the years...but most of them have been performed in the privacy of my own home.  This is actually a class. Led by Camp Maverick. And it's not in my living room.  See those little yellow people in the picture below?  We actually do that stuff, y'all.  And, it's harder than it looks! 

source
 
TRX was created by a Navy Seal, so you know it's tough.  It uses straps suspended from the ceiling, so that you can use your body weight to do exercises that develop strength and core stability.  The picture below was taken on my very first day...I am the one looking at the instructor, Allison, with a confused expression on my face.  Allison is awesome and is always thinking of new ways to torture challenge us.  It's not unusual to leave class drenched in sweat with arms and legs that feel like jello.  And yes, I do feel the burn the next day!
 
borrowed from the Camp Maverick FB page
 
Pain in the neck - part II
Some of you might remember my neck/upper back issue from last year.  Well, it came back.  Seriously, is this what turning 40 has done to me?  If this is what getting older is all about, it sucks!  There was no TRX class on Monday due to the Labor Day holiday, so I was surprised when I woke up on Tuesday of last week with a pain in my neck.  Nothing horrible, just one of those things my Grandma would call a "crick" that just meant you must have slept wrong.  Well, it was still there on Wednesday and against my better judgement, I went to my TRX class anyway.
 
Things were going great the first 30 minutes or so - I was having a pretty great workout (thank you Allison), but then all of a sudden my lower neck/upper back cramped up!  I couldn't turn my head!  We tried a few different things to loosen it up, but nothing seemed to help.  Luckily, my chiropractor's office is in the same building and he was still there.  As much as I hated to disturb him after office hours, I went ahead and asked him to take a look.  He did some adjusting, showed me some exercises and even taped me up.  It helped a ton, but I was still in a lot of pain.  I had a hard time getting to sleep that night, because I just could not find a position that didn't hurt.  Fortunately, things are better now - still a bit wonky, but better.  I did ride my bike for a little over a hour on Sunday...in aero.  Dumb idea...the neck bothered me for a few days afterwards and I skipped TRX on Wednesday.
 
Booty workouts
Yes, I am referring to the Brazilian Butt Lift.  I am still getting this workout in 2-3 times per week before work.  It's fun and I can always use some help in the "bum bum" area.
 
Yes, this man always looks this excited about working the "bum bum"
 
 Biking
I have decided not to do the Tour de Cure for reasons I will discuss in a moment.  However, I am still riding my bike.  Hey, I love the bike and it's great cross training!  I am hoping to keep a weekly bike ride on my schedule until it's too cold to ride.  Then, I'll swap it for spin class.
 
Getting educated
The reason I am not riding the Tour de Cure is because I am attending the ACSM workshop that same weekend instead.  Typically, you attend this workshop with the intent of becoming a personal trainer.  Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll go that route, but I really want to learn more about the anatomy of strength training and how to use strengthening to be a better runner. 
 
 
source
 
Work
You all know my job can sometimes get crazy, and there are long periods of time that I have had to work late into the night.  While I enjoy the Company, the people and the work, an opportunity arose that is closer to home that might also allow for a better work-life balance.  I start the new job next week.  While it's always scary to venture into the unknown, I am looking forward to the new challenges!
 
Yes, I will miss the views, but I will not miss the commute!
 
Family
You all know much I love spending time with the Hubby and kids, so naturally I have to talk about them...and post way too many pictures! :-)

After our family vacation, it was time to come back to reality - i.e. school!  The 1st day of school went well and the Kiddo loves her classmates and teacher. 

The 3rd annual day before school mani/pedi


1st day of school...gotta love the sequin beret!

The Dog
I have a confession - having a puppy is hard.  And, I am really not adjusting well.  I mean, would you adjust well to a creature that ate your couch and your stockings (there is evidence of this in the backyard), made mud pits in what was once a pretty nice backyard, made mud pits on your back patio, tracked mud all over your house, stole food off your counters, made you fall on the floor at Petsmart (more on this later) and countless other bad deeds?

I didn't think so.

So, we started the beginner puppy training at Petsmart last weekend in an effort to have a more well behaved dog.  I decided to bring the Kiddo with me.  So, in we walk through the automatic doors.  All of a sudden, the dog goes crazy.  He's never been to Petsmart and apparently it's sensory overload for a dog.  The next thing I know, the Kiddo is sprawled on the floor in front of me.  Then, the dog pulls me in another direction and I suddenly realize that the leash is wrapped around my legs.  Then, the dog pulls me forward and I have nowhere to go except on the floor.  On top of the Kiddo. Yeah, stop laughing.

I tried to play it cool and just laugh it off.  I said something like, "Haha, silly dog!  Now you see why we're here for training, hehe!" as I picked myself and the Kiddo off the floor.  What I was saying in my head was more like, "D*M mother effing dog!!!  You are going to the shelter on Monday!!!"


 Don't let the innocent face fool you...I took this picture right after I caught him stealing cookies off the cooling rack! 
 Bad dog!
 
 
Labor Day Weekend
We try to make the most out of our weekends.  Yes, there is laundry to do and a house to clean, but we try to get outside when it's not 170 degrees with 160% humidity.  Labor day weekend was no exception.  The hubby had a long bike ride, so the kids and I went to the park early enough to miss the hottest part of the day.
 
Taking a break from not feeding the ducks (really, we didn't feed them, we swear!)

We also spent a couple of hours at the neighborhood pool.  And, I took the Kiddo to the Titanic exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.  Yes, we do leave the 'burbs for some culture every so often.  The Kiddo read two books about the Titanic, so she was really excited about going to the exhibit.  I am a little concerned that all this education about the Titanic will come back to bite me in the butt in March, when we go on our family cruise...I may have trouble convincing her that there are no icebergs in the Caribbean in March!

The Kiddo in front of the HMNS

 
And, before the weekend was over, we took a walk to the neighborhood lake and playground.  The kids whined played and we got eaten alive by mosquitoes revelled in what was left of summer.  Ahhhh, summer time.  What the hell and I saying?  Bring on October and the cool fronts, this family has had enough of the 100+ degree temps!!! 
 
Thank God summer is over...hurry up fall!!!!


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good for you in trying NEW things & good luck with the new job.