Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Last Week's Workouts - Mixing it Up!

So instead of a boring recap of each day's workouts, let me just say that I have really been mixing things up over the past couple of weeks....

First, I welcomed Insanity back into my life.  Okay, so it's not like life isn't already insane enough...but I felt the need to cheat on my 1st DVD workout boyfriend, Tony Horton, with Shawn T.  Yes, it's hard and makes me sweat...I love Insanity!

Insanity....Dig Deep!
Okay, so I am two-timing...I squeezed in a couple of P90X workouts in last week.  I forgot how painful push-ups and chin-ups can be!  Feels so good, baby!

Can't forget P90X...Bring It!
And, there was some Brazil Butt Lift going on...sorry, no picture of that one!  And finally, I finally used my Living Social coupon for CrossFit!

I have to admit, I was a bit scared to go to CrossFit.  I have not lifted weights...as in Olympic-style lifting...since I was 19 and I had my very 1st gym membership.  And at that time, my wimpy little 19-year old arms only lifted the bar.  You'd think I'd have more muscles from all the gymnastics I used to do. Guess not!

It's funny, because awhile back I googled "CrossFit" and discovered that there were about 6 boxes within a 10 mile radius of my house.  Two boxes stood out to me.  One, because it seemed to be really well established, the instructors there all had multiple certifications and they offered CrossFit Endurance, which is something that I thought I might want to check out at some point.  The other, because I was intrigued by the owner.  She's an Ironman and amazing athlete, but her box was new and didn't offer quite as many sessions at times that worked for me.  Things all worked out - I had friends who went to the 2nd box I mentioned and were put off by lack of friendliness there.  They did not feel welcome at all, and there was almost no explanation of the exercises.  In fact, a "you must have never lifted" type of comment was made.  About that time, I noticed the Living Social coupon for the 1st box....the decision was made!  I bought that coupon MONTHS ago.  It was expiring in January, so I figured no time like the present.

The 1st two sessions you are required to attend are called the "Elements" sessions.  In these sessions, you learn the proper form and technique for lifting, how to use the equipment for everything from rowing, to box jumps to doing assisted chin-ups.  We learned what a "kipping chin-up" was (still weird to me), "butterfly chin-ups" and how to use the bands for chin-ups.  The staff and everyone else was extremely friendly, helpful and supportive...pretty much everything I had heard about CrossFit.  I learned that I need to get my chest to the deck on my push-ups, and I was told that I was not allowed to do knee push-ups.  Darn! :-) I discovered that box-jumps freak me the hell out...maybe because I am afraid of missing the box?  After about an hour of instruction, we had a mini-WOD (workout of the day).  Between taking turns demo-ing each move and the mini-WOD, I was freaking sore the next day.  I can't wait to see what it will be like when I am finally there for a real WOD!

So that's how I've been mixing it up.  And yes, I am still running too.  I had to miss my regular bike rides thanks to a busy schedule and bad weather, but made up for it with the other workouts!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Insanity, P90X, and Crossfit....all in one week. That's crazy. I think I'd be a big pile of jelly. I've done p90X amd cross fit "like" classes, but I've always wanted to try Insanity. Enjoy changing it up.

Unknown said...

Which Crossfit box did you end up going to? My husband are thinking about joining one too here in Houston. I believe we are leaning towards BayouCity Crossfit.

TX Runner Mom said...

Robin - It's CrossFit Point Break, on the north side of town.