Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bitter

Ugh, first Astroworld and now this. Once again, we are proving that we are a city that doesn't care about it's past. Can I just say, that I really hate Weingarten Realty Investors?

The River Oaks Shopping Center was built in 1937 and is a prime example of Art Moderne (similar to Art Deco, but emphasizes horizontal lines rather than vertical). The River Oaks Shopping Center is/was known for being the oldest shopping center in Texas and the second oldest shopping center in the nation. I don't know what's going to happen to the rest of the center, but hopefully someone will come to their senses and not destroy that too!

If you want to help save some of Houston's landmarks, check out this link.

Okay, I'll get off my little soapbox now.

3 comments:

Viv said...

I wonder what they are going to put there. Maybe a 3rd Starbucks!? I actullay park right in front of that Blackeyed Pea when I go to the Landmark. Awesome job on the 21 bike ride. That is fantastic. Still waiting to go on my first official outdoor ride this weekend. I am so scared ;-0
PS for a second I thought my son made a premire on ur blog. Glad it wasn't my wild child.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I drove past there yesterday and it was already under demolition.

Dan and I were driving in the area last Thursday and he said he was kind of glad we had moved since it was so painful to see how much it was changing. I agree.

I'm not anti-progress, but I am definitely anti-senseless destruction of history.

J~Mom said...

I am sorry. :>( I hate it when developers cannot see what they are destroying.