Friday, September 19, 2008

Checking In

Hi all!
I just wanted to get a quick post up to let everyone know I'm a-okay. Since the hubby was at work during the hurricane (and 2 days after), the kids and I stayed with my parents. Lemme tell you, that was some scary shiat! If Ike was a cat 2, I don't ever wanna be here for a cat 4 or 5!!! We had no damage to the house, but like the majority of Houston, we have no power.

Still.
Day 6 of no power.
Ugh!

We do have a generator, so that's been awesome. This cold front has also been awesome (huge thanks to the big man upstairs for that one!!!) For awhile there getting gas for the generator was a pain in the ass, but that seems to get better each day as more and more stations open up.

I can't complain, cause like I said, there was no damage to the house! I have a couple of family members who live by the coast who did have some damage and my friend Marlina who lives in Shore Acres had 3-4 feet of water in their house. But, everyone is alive and well, and that's all that matters.

I am at a Starbucks near my office using their internet so I can get some work done. Our office building suffered some major damage, so we've been in and out all week trying to get stuff moved into other parts of the building. We have no power there either - good thing we're a commercial general contractor, because we have a huge generator and the crews are already making great progress in the reconstruction of the damaged areas. I went to the Dallas office yesterday just to get some work done and met with the General Manager there.

I hope all is well with everyone else. I haven't had a chance to check anyone's blogs and may not until we have power again. The hardest part is not being connected to the rest of the world with no cable and no internet. We bought some rabbit ears, so we can watch one channel - 13 KTRK. I swear, after this, we are getting Direct TV, our breaker box wired for the generator and a gas cooktop. I love camping and grilling, but I'm getting tired of pulling out the grill every night for dinner. :-)

Take care and stay safe!

Take care everyone!!!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey Christy,

We're still without power too (not glad you are, but I was starting to think I was the only blogger not back to the 21st century living!).

My SIL got her power back yesterday so we are now the recipients (I have spelled that 3 times...I can't remember how to...I'm very tired...) of theirs.

1st thing plugged in - the washer. 2nd thing - the computer. So I'm up! Woo hoo! Who needs a/c anyway?

Margo said...

So glad you're doing ok! We don't have power either and are in the region that they are saying it could be fixed after 9/22. But, I have to keep reminding myself that things could be much, much worse.