Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lucky Lady

Ugh, I was sitting here at my laptop at the kitchen table working on my paper due Saturday when I started to get a little weepy. You see, on Monday I have to return back to work full-time after 12 weeks of maternity leave. This leave was much different from my leave with the kiddo. Back then, I was part of a huge HR department. I had a back-up who took over everything and I probably had to answer 2 questions about work-related stuff during my entire leave (which was 15 weeks and fully paid!).

This time around I am working as a manager of a 2-person HR team. I call a lot of the shots, or I make recommendations to people who make the big decisions. Therefore, since the day after I arrived home from the hospital with the baby, I was receiving calls from work and answering e-mails. (I'm sure if I didn't leave the hospital on a Sunday, I'd be taking calls the day I left!) There was a pretty major employee relations issue and I was the one who had to handle it...

Anyway, as I look back at the past 12 weeks, I realize that I wasted a lot of precious family time stressing out about work issues. Now, I was also stressing about school, but that wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Seriously people, life is too short. Don't get me wrong - there was some great quality time with the family in there...but there should have been more.

I don't know why I am writing this. I guess just to remind myself that school is going to be over in less than two weeks...I better take advantage of those free Saturdays to create some awesome memories with the hubby and kids. A few minutes ago I decided I needed to get up from my computer and stretch my legs. I decided to take a stroll around the 2nd floor, where the kiddo and muchkin's rooms are located. I snuck into the baby's room 1st and just stood there looking down at that cute little face. Of course that was after I placed my hand on his little chest to make sure he was breathing, lol! (When does that mommy paranoia stop?) Then, I headed over to the kiddo's room. I had to let out a quiet chuckle, because I could hardly see her buried in between about 15 of her favorite Disney princess dolls and stuffed animals.

Before I left only one thought entered my head - Man, oh Man, I am one lucky lady! Then I said a quick "thank you" to the big man upstairs.

Life.is.good.

7 comments:

Marcy said...

It NEVER ends. I swear they'll be 50 years old and we'll be checking to see if they're still breathing LMAO!

Tiggs said...

so if you are on unpaid maternity leave but still working when you take calls and emails, they ARE paying for that time, right?

Pony and Petey said...

It's a blessing in itself to take the time to stop and count our blessings!

TX Runner Mom said...

Tiggs - Yes, they are paying me. Of course, I haven't bothered charging time when I am just answering a quick phone call or two....but, it's annoying that it's a quick phone call that ends up consuming my thoughts for the rest of the day! Ugh!

Viv said...

you are lucky, you have a beautiful family and you are so sweet and deserving!

Barbara said...

I still check on the 10-year old and 4-year old...I'm sure that never ends! One of my favorite things to do is go into his room in the morning when it's time for him to wake up and whisper in his ear "I have the best mom in the whole world. I love to dream about my wonderful mom." And things like that - LOL!

Margo said...

Awww. You are lucky! I'm trying to learn from husband and let more things roll off my back. It's hard though!