Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Spin and Swim

Not much to report today...I managed to get to spin class over my lunch break for the first time since I don't know when (January, maybe?). I've been riding the bike trainer at home while watching TV in the wee hours of the morning and just felt like doing something different. Our instructor, Jennifer, handed me my butt on a platter with lots of hills, jumps and intervals...it's a great way to get your blood pumping and ready for the afternoon, that's for sure! I also met a few co-workers who live in my area and invited me out for some local group bike rides...see spin class can be very productive!


I have no idea how fast or how far I rode during class this time, because the rpm/mileage computer thingy wasn't working on my bike. In fact, I tried 2 different bikes and had the same problem on both! Maybe I broke both of them? Who knows? What I do know is that I hate not knowing the rpms, calories and distance during spin class! I am an information junkie!


After work, I headed home and hung out with the family for awhile and then hit the gym to swim. I only had 45 minutes on the schedule, which was perfect - I'd have time to swim and then get home again in time to help tuck the kiddos into bed. Gotta love that! My swim was pretty uneventful...I did 100 warm up, followed by drills - fist swim, dps work, one arm, etc. I managed to do a total of 1,400 yds, which is slower than normal for me. Maybe my rests between drills was longer than it should have been?


Speaking of swimming, I've seen two people in the last week wearing something like this:

It's a waterproof thingy for your ipod! After about 1,200 yds, I'll admit that I get extremely bored in the pool. There's nothing terribly exciting about looking at the black line at the bottom of the pool. Maybe this will help? But, I am not an ipod runner. I prefer to just use that time to think and enjoy the sound of my footsteps and nature. Pretty zen, right? :-) So, I'm not sure I'd want to listen to my ipod while swimming. Besides, I'd like to be able to hear if someone in the lane next to me (or in the lake) is calling for help, lol!

No comments: