Saturday, July 23, 2011


"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."

- Henry Ford


Love the quote.

Yesterday, I left the house at my usual time (6:30 am), and I didn't make it back home until after 10 pm. Lots of craziness going on in all aspects of my life at the moment. It makes me tired and it makes me grumpy. Last night when I made it home, I was ready to tell the Hubby that I'd decided I didn't want to run NYC. I was going to check our rental contract for the apartment we'd rented and see how much of our deposit we could get back. I was done.

Why? Well, after missing 7 weeks of running, then missing another week due to strep, I was concerned that I had missed too much training. Before the stupid toe incident, I was ready to go into the training season a stronger runner than I'd ever been. Instead, I was finishing 6 miles at an 11-something pace and it was HARD! Seriously people, my training plan says that I should be at 14 miles this week. 14!

But, it's funny what a good night's sleep can do. I woke up and thought of that quote...okay, so I'll run 9 this week, instead of 14. Okay, so I might not have the super-duper PR in NYC that I had hoped for. But, I will race. I will train hard over the next 15 weeks. I will do my best.

This morning, I headed out for 5 miles before Woodlands Fit was scheduled to meet up. Yes, it was slow, but much to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. Then, I did 4 more miles with my peeps from Woodlands Fit. Again, it was freaking slow (slower than the 1st 5 miles), but again...not too terrible. I finished my goal mileage for the week and I survived. Yes, I had some negative thoughts along the way, but I tried to push them out of my head. And, the best part? My legs felt like I could have gone a little bit farther. (emphasis on the little)

So, it's going to be a long, stupid hot, sweaty road to the start line, but I think I'll make it.

5 comments:

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That's the best - when you feel like you could have run farther!

That Pink Girl said...

A good night's sleep doeth good like medicine! So restorative. You've got plenty of time to prepare for NYC girl. You're going to love every minute of it and just might get that PR after all!

Unknown said...

I always forget to make a decision after a good night's sleep and it's just so much easier than when I freak out and then go to bed!! I'm with you...
I did NYC last year and I'd do it again on less training because it's just that GREAT of a race. In fact, it's one of those races that you want to run in a relaxed and happy way because there is just TOO much to see and I couldn't concentrate on my running...lots and lots and lots of runners, people, sites and you want to relish the early morning start.
Just do it...
Oh, and my biggest word of advice: plastic. Take a roll of plastic(like as in a roll of plastic tarp)to use as a blanket, a place to lie down and just to share. Everyone will want to be your friend.

Michael said...

That's awesome! I'm glad a good night's sleep helped you get your resolve back. You've got this!! Just get out there and train to the best of your ability and you will still be ready come race day.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.