Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Brick...sort of

Going to bed at after 1 am on Saturday after a long day at school, then waking up around 5:30 am to work-out just doesn't work for me. I’ll tell you more about why later...

I made it to the park by 6am for my run. I don't know why, but I decided to cut back this week and only do 5 strong miles. That's exactly what I did. It was hot, it was humid, it was summer in Houston. I'm not sure of each split, but my average pace was 11:08 min/mile. I started out a little too fast and ended up taking it slow toward the end. I think in the beginning, I was just excited about getting the run done and getting on to my 1st bike ride. I did see the speed-demon Jake (he and his crew passed me up!) and new friend, Alfonso, out there on the trail! Overall, I give the run 2 thumbs up. It was fun, even though it was short.

Next, I changed into my spiffy new bike shorts and took my sweaty, red-faced self to a nearby trail. This would be my 1st official bike ride since the summer of '96! I have to admit that the hardcore bikers at Memorial Park intimidate me, so for my 1st ride, I wanted to go somewhere where there wouldn't be quite as much biking traffic. I also wanted to be where I wouldn't have to ride on the street with any cars. I knew I wasn't quite ready for that yet. :-)

I set off for my ride. I was limited to about 40 minutes, because I had to hurry and get home to take the kiddo to her swim lesson. So, I did about 21 minutes out and the same back. Actually, I made it back to my car in more like 20 minutes, so I kept riding a little longer. I don’t have a cyclometer, so I don’t know for sure if my mileage is correct…I think I rode a tad bit over 8 miles. Not very far, but enough to realize that I do, in fact, remember how to ride a bike and that I think I am going to like it! Wooohoo! One thing I noticed is that the heat doesn't seem to affect me on the bike like it does when I run. When I run, I get really overheated, my face gets all red and I feel like I can't go any farther. With the bike, while I was sweating, the heat didn't seem as oppressive. I may have felt differently if I had had gone for a longer ride, though.

Anyway, I pretty much took it easy just so I could get the feel of the bike and learn the trail. Of course, I am sure I looked like a runner trying to bike. :-) There was one area where the cement trail was roped off and I had to go around. Apparently, I picked the wettest side of the path…when I rode through the grass and around the barrier, I made a big splash and got mud all over my legs and even on my shirt. You know what? It was fun! I’m beginning to think I should stick to the mountain bike and do some trails. I dunno, maybe I should take it one step at a time. ;-)

Later that night, after the swim lesson and after spending 5 hours at the library, I put the kiddo to bed. At one point, she asked me to sing a song to her. I don't remember what I was singing, but one minute I am singing and the next the kiddo is asking, "Mommy, why did you stop singing?" Um, yeah, I had fallen asleep mid-song! Sad. Just sad, I tell you! Needless to say, I did not work on anymore homework that night. Once the kiddo finally drifted off to sleep, I headed to bed too. It was 9:15 pm. Sad!

8 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

Glad you enjoyed the bike ride and good for you for getting out there and running also!

And the mid-song, falling asleep story was so funny! Get more sleep, girl!

Lori said...

Not sad, just a full day! Believe me, I welcome that easy sleep any day. That bike ride sounds awesome. I really need to get out there and do that!

Sarah said...

I don't get as overheated on the bike either. I get nasty sweaty for sure, but not as hot. I think it's mainly because my average heart rate tends to stay ~10-20 bpm slower than when I'm running.

Anonymous said...

I could write that part about falling asleep mid-sentence on my children at least once a week - too funny!

I like 2 workouts a day, but one in the morning then rest at work (LOL!) and the 2nd one at lunch once I've had a chance to recuperate.

Marcy said...

OMG what a day!!! I haven't had one of those in a long time but I DO remember them vividly. You poor thing!! Hopefully you'll get the rest you need!

LOL at the bike ride. You sound EXACTLY like me in your choice of place to bike. Any where other than where the hardcore peeps are hehe

J~Mom said...

What a day!! Great job on the biking and running! I find I can bike when it is about 10 degrees hotter then when I can run!

Laurel said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Ha, falling alseep while singing huh? Sounds like a long day!

Congratulations on the bike ride! I want to take pu biking again too. But unfortunately, the tv took up all our funds. :( Wow, thats sounds lazy!

Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

The picnic loop isn't too bad for an easy ride. Early in the morning (darkness still) the hardcore cyclists are out there, but after the sun rises, they seem to be fewer and fewer (probably because they are all in a peleton somewhere) and more of the amateurs like you and I are riding.