Sunday, July 15, 2007

Weekend Re-cap

I had a great time doing dinner and a movie Friday night. Of course, dinner included margarita's! We went to see Knocked Up, which was a little slow in parts, but overall freakin' hilarious. If you don't have kids, you may not want them after seeing the delivery room scene!

Saturday, I had school all day. Blah! The good news - only 4 more weeks! The bad news - I have 4 case studies, 1 reaction paper and 2 group presentations/papers due between now and then. That's pretty much all for the day besides a trip to the grocery store and the hubby's fishing tournament (his team had fun and one of the members won 2nd place red...or was it trout?).

Today I made it to the park for my LR. No more hemming and hawing...I just woke up, got dressed and headed out. I made it there by 6:15. Let me tell you, you can really tell marathon training has begun, because the park was full of activity. Sunday mornings are usually pretty quiet, but this is the 2nd week in a row with more cars and people than usual.

I decided to do an out and back route since I have been really bad about wanting to go home when I make it around the loop and see my car. I think heading out and back is the solution, since I have to run back to my car to go home. :-) I did a variation of the Rose Garden run for a total of 7 miles. Overall, it went well. The stretch from the park to Shepherd on Memorial was the usual nightmarish, never-ending trek. But, after I made it to Shepherd, it seemed like I was at the Rose Garden in no time! Then heading back, the Memorial trek seemed to go really fast. Before I knew it, I was back at Crestwood and entering the park again! I'll admit that I did walk much more than I should have at the very end. I just kind of pooped out. But, overall it felt great!

I have no idea of my splits, because I didn't have the trusty Garmin. Based on where I *think* the miles are, I was going a tiny bit faster than an 11-minute pace. Not great, but considering the lovely humidity, not too bad either. Plus, I was running with my fuel belt for the 1st time in, well, forever! It took some getting used to at first! That reminds me - when I was heading back to the park, I kept noticing cars driving by from the direction of the park with big raindrops on them. Somehow, I managed to miss all the rain! I made up for it on the way home though...I got caught in a monsoon!

Later, (after the rain) the hubby and I took the kiddo to her swim lesson. Afterwards, we had some lunch and headed to the Children's Museum. We ended the day by riding our bikes in the driveway, playing hopscotch and blowing bubbles. Fun, fun! By the way, I was relieved to know that I can still ride a bike!


bunnygirl said...

I'm glad you got a good long run! For variety, you could also try going up Memorial to Chimney Rock, which is one of my favorites. For a shorter route, you can turn left on Post Oak instead of going all the way to Chimney Rock, and come back on Woodway. You get to run past the Houstonian and the police stables, which is nice.

Water is hard to find on Memorial or Woodway, though. Wear your fuel belt.

txrunnergirl said...

Thanks for the tip! I've run that way before with Houston Fit, but never think about that route when I go solo. I'll have to try it!

Marathon Maritza said...

Awwww...hopscotch! Can I come over and play?

Great job on getting your morning runs in!

Marcy said...

That's so weird that you can tell marathon season has kicked off. It's never like that around here (probably because everyone is lazy LMAO!) I always see pretty much the same people over and over again.

scott keeps running said...

knocked up...i laughed once. okay, maybe twice. okay, more than that... :)