Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ten for Texas Race Report

Ten for Texas is probably my favorite Fall race...I get to run and hang out with my Woodlands Fit peeps, it's a flat course with great support and they have a great post-race party!  And, this year they are giving out finisher's medals...what more could a girl want from a race???
 
The race starts at 7:30 am, so I woke up around 5:30 to give myself time for breakfast (scrambled egg whites and granola with almond milk).  Once I was all dressed, it was time to head to the race.  Once I arrived, I ran into our neighbors and their kiddos.  After chatting for a few minutes, I headed over to where my fellow Maverick Fantasy Fitness peeps were hanging out and we took a quick picture.  It was great, because there are a couple of people on my team who I had never met and finally had a chance to introduce myself and say hello.
 
Fellow Mavs!!!
Next, I headed over to the Woodland's Fit meeting place and had a chance for a photo op with some of the runners in the group I am coaching.  Next, a couple of us headed over to the porta-potties for one last pit stop before the race.  While walking around, I ran into peeps here and there...it was great to see so many familiar faces.  Again, that's why I love this race!
 
Woodlands Fit 1/2 Marathon Red Group in da house!!!!
When heading the the start, I ran into two of my running BFFs, Katie and Erica.  Before I knew it, the national anthem was being sung and it was time to go! 

Running BFFS - Erica, Katie and me

I moved over between the 10 and 11 minute pace groups and ran into another runner from my group who was running with her husband.  They were kind enough to let me start with them, and I actually ended up running with them the entire way. 

I honestly had no clue what to expect with this race.  Because of the fitness challenge I'm doing, I have been doing two-a-days all week...as a result (I think), my hip has been feeling a bit achy.  I took some ibuprofen before the race just as a precaution.  Much to my surprise, the hip felt great the entire time!  We started at about a 10:45 pace and stayed between there and 11 minutes until mile 6.  At that point, we just kept getting a little faster as we went along.  It was a warm, humid day, so in all honesty, if I didn't have someone to run with, I may have wussed out by walking and whining about the heat. But, having someone to run with was awesome!  We chatted about various races and random topics, which made the miles pass quickly.

Along the way, it was great to see friends who were not running out on the course cheering!  Nothing like seeing a friend to put a little pep in your step!  While the miles ticked off pretty quick, I have to admit that by mile 8, I was soooo ready for the race to be over.  The sun was peeking out from behind the clouds here and there, which made it pretty hot.  I began to question my sanity for wanting to do this running thing to begin with.  I also questioned my sanity in signing up for the LaPorte 1/2 Marathon next month and Houston 1/2 Marathon in January.  Did I really just run NYCM a year ago????   Then, at mile 9, those thoughts were washed away with the realization that I was almost done.  We had a bridge to run over and we would be almost there!  Once we made it into the shopping center where the finish is just a turn and a sprint away, we had picked up the pace a little more and were running it in - I think this is where I hit my max pace of 7:36...yeah, and thank God I didn't have to hold it there for very long.  This also might explain why for a moment I thought I was going to puke at the finish, lol!

At the finish, we were awarded our coveted medals!  I ran into more peeps and took a few minutes to chat it up a bit.

Awesome Woodlands Fit director and fellow Maverick, Rachel!

The BLING...gotta love it!!!

After chatting a bit, another runner peep and I headed over to the food!  Of course, our first stop was the um, grown up beverage tent, to get a refreshing beverage.

One of the best parts of this race...a beverage for the non-beer drinkers!!!

Next, we headed to the food tent where we had lots of options - breakfast tacos, My Fit Foods, fruit, BROWNIES, waffles, etc.  Did I mention there were BROWNIES???
 
All in all, I am super happy with this race and my running. No, I did not PR...I missed that by 2 1/2 minutes.  But, I did waaaaayyyy better than I thought I would after the great hip blip of 2012!  I only missed my PR by 2 1/2 minutes!  I really thought I would be between a 10:45 and 11 minute pace.
 
The best part was seeing all the running friends I've made along my running journey!  It was fun to cheer for each other, congratulate each other and just hang out!

Yes, this is why I continue running.  I am blessed!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was a great race! Congrats.

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

This sounded like so much fun! I moved here to IL from Texas and MISS the breakfast tacos! HEHE! Have a great Sunday!

Teamarcia said...

COngrats! SOunds like a very enjoyable race. I'll have to try some Advil or something for my hip. Can't hurt at this point right? Nice to hear your is cooperating!

Jill said...

Oh, what a really fun race with some great friends. Not too far off your PR at all and the fact you far exceeded your expectations is awesome. Love it when that happens :). Congrats!