Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A nice 3 miles...

Monday afternoon, I met up with fellow HoustonFit-ers Pam, Kay and Roni for a loop around the park. (You've read about Kay and Pam - Roni and I trained for the Houston Marathon back in 2002 & she's run it 4 times!) I know I've said it before, but I just have to say it again...it is so great to have other people to run with! It was about 85 and very, very humid thanks to the earlier rain showers, so having people to talk to while running made the weather much easier to tolerate. While running we discussed summer plans, fall marathons, the upcoming 5K, etc. We made a couple of quick stops for water (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!) and walked for about a minute while on Memorial. We made it around the loop in 30:30 and we added a little walking "warm-down" at the end. We finished with some stretching and more conversations about work then called it a day...I had to get home in time to spend a little time with the kiddo before watching the Alias finale! R.I.P. Alias, I enjoyed all 5 years!

My goal this week is to run 20 miles...I thought this would be easy until I remembered that I would be running the Race for the Pennant on Saturday rather than the usual long run. So, now I have to figure out when to fit in the other mileage. I may check out some other routes for my weekday runs just to get a little variety here and there. I can hardly believe that the HoustonFit fall marathon training program is starting in 2 weeks...where did the time go? It seems like we just finished the Houston Marathon!

Run Long & Livestrong!

1 comment:

TX Runner Mom said...

Mountain biking...I am jealous. I don't own a bike at the moment and haven gone mountain biking since college. It can be a bad hobby during swimsuit/shorts season!!!

Hmmm...zen-like state? Never gotten there...just kidding, well sort of!!! Honestly, I have gotten that "runner's high" on my long runs. A lot of times on the long runs, I have the painful 1st few miles where my body is still getting warmed up. Then somewhere in the middle, I get into a groove - my body feels like it's in the right running rythm, the aches and pains have subsided and I feel like I can run forever. Of course, that does NOT happen everytime. Unfortunately, there are also those days when I am like "Damn, this sucks??? Why in the hell am I doing this?" Yep, sometimes the memory of those days is a little more vivid. (sigh)