Thursday, May 25, 2006

One foot in front of the other...

Yesterday, I met my faithful running pals Kay & Pam for a 6 mile jog at the park. It was about 90 degrees - damn hot in my opinion! Because of the heat, we figured we do 5/1s and not push it too much. The whole 6 mile thing was my idea, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get in a long run on Saturday due to the 5K we were running. At the end of the 1st 3 miles, I was was wondering what in the hell was I thinking...did I come up with this bright idea of six miles??? Do I really want to do more!?!?! In fact, I was ready to call it a day, but Kay and Pam kept me on track and we kept going. (Again, it helps to have friends to keep you honest!) In times like these, I have to remind myself - just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will eventually get it done!!!

About 1/2 way through the second half of the run, I just pooped out. I hate it when that happens!!! My head felt hot and my legs just decided that the running was over. Sooo...I wimped out and walked it in. I always beat myself up when that happens. I feel like such a wuss when I wimp out. Pam and I ran the same distance on Sunday with no wimping out, so it really bugs me when this happens. But, we finished in a decent (not great) time and we had plenty of time to get home to watch the 2-hour season finale of LOST (which was GREAT by the way!).

I did have a bit of aching in my lower legs - not really my shins, but not my calves, just somewhere in the middle. Today, my shins are really bothering me. I don't know why that's happening - usually with brand new shoes, those types of aches and pains go away. I will probably take it easy tonight and do core conditioning - so much for getting in 20 miles this week! That's okay though, HoustonFit starts up soon and I will get in more than enough mileage. I will have to keep reminding myself - one foot in front of the other again soon enough!

Run long & Livestrong!

2 comments:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

keep it up...and have a great race tomorrow. i will be there in spirit cheering for you!

TX Runner Mom said...

Awww, thanks Jessica! Have a great Memorial Day weekend.