Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Bun Run 5k

This post is a bit late, but better late than never I suppose.

I went to pick up my packet on Friday at Tri on the Run and realized that I left my checkbook at home. Of course, I had no cash on me...I am a debit card girl all the way. So, I walked to a nearby gas station to use the atm. I had the kiddo with me and she started crying, because she really wanted to check out the jog stroller. Kids are funny! When I returned with my money, the folks at packet pick-up told me that they don't have t-shirts with them. Darn, that's the reason I run 5k add more shirts to my collection! No worries, they said they would have them next weekend. By the time we left, the kiddo had completely forgotten about the jog stroller.

Saturday morning, I woke up at the crack of dawn and could hear the wind howling outside. After making a few wrong turns, I made it to the Fonde Recreation Center at approximately 7:25 am. The temp was a perfect 50 degrees, but the wind was still howling. I picked up my chip and headed to the porta-potties. Dang, no tp! As I was getting ready to head back to my car to stay warm, someone came by and said that tp would be there shortly. I hung out in my car until about 6:45 and then headed back to the porta-cans. Sure enough, there was tp! I managed to stretch a little before the announcer announced that the race would be starting in 5 minutes and that we should make our way to the start. As I looked around, I noticed that there aren't many runners. The ones that are there look like pretty serious runners and I begin to worry that I may come in last! That's never a good feeling, but I figure there has to be a walker or two in the crowd, which makes me feel a little better. Before I make it to the start, I see Steve who tells me June is there. It's always good to see familiar faces at a race, so I am happy to see June!

When we started the race and the wind was non-existent. I went into this race not expecting to PR, but just wanting to maintain a 10 minute pace. My goal finish time was 31 minutes. I knew I had startd out a bit too fast (for me), because I felt winded right away and had to tell myself to slow it down a bit. I checked the Garmin, which told me my pace was 8 something. I managed to maintain about a 9:30 pace for the 1st mile and was stoked. I made it to the turnaround and I immediately got hit with a lovely headwind. The headwind subsided a bit, but hit again right as I started to get close to the "hill". The "hill" is not really a hill, but a gentle incline. However, with the wind it felt like more of a hill. The next mile was a bit slower, but since I forgot to hit my lap button I'm not exactly sure of the time. I just knew that I was going faster than my goal pace...and I didn't feel tired at all! The next thing I knew is that I can see the finish and the clock. The clock said 28 something. For a split second, I thought that I just might be able to PR. However, the thought was just for a split second, because I realized that I was too far out to make it. But, I was definitely going to crush my 31 minute goal. My ending time was 30:15! No PR, but overall, I am really pleased. That is my fastest 5K time since before I was pregnant - over 2 years.

My PR occurred in February 2002 right after I completed my 1st 1/2 marathon. It was the Heart of the Park 5k, which I don't even think exists anymore. I just remember it was a perfect weather day - about 40 degrees and no wind. My time was 29:50....a time in which I have not come close to since. In fact, I was beginning to think either 1) the course was short or 2) I was never going to PR again. Running this race in 30:15 gives me some hope that I am capable of PRing. Of course, the weather plays a huge part in this as well. I don't know if I would run as fast if it was 20 degrees warmer. I guess we'll see...the temps will probably be at least 20 degrees warmer in the next race.

Anyway, after chatting with June, Steve and Lisa for a few minutes after the race, I headed home. The post race party and drawings weren't starting until 9 am and it was too cold to hang out. Overall, I really enjoyed the race. I loved that the course was nice and flat (unlike the 5Ks on Allen Parkway) and out and back. Maybe next year I'll be even faster and coming in last won't even cross my mind. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the PR! I have run many a race where I worry about coming in last! :)