Monday, April 30, 2007


First of all, I wasn't completely sure I would get in a LR on Sunday. The hubby really wanted to go fishing on Saturday and somehow managed to not go (I think he just hates getting up early!). He said he was going to go on Sunday, but I had a sneaking suspicion that he would decide to sleep in again.

Good thing I know my dear hubby so well! I quietly set out all my running gear Saturday night and set my alarm clock for 5:45 a.m. Sure enough! When my alarm clock went off, the house was dark and quiet and the hubby was still asleep. I tried to wake him and asked him if he was going fishing. He mumbled something about going later and that I should get in my run. :-) Woohooo! Mostly I was happy...but I do have to admit that a part of me wanted him to be loading his truck with fishing gear so I'd have an excuse to sleep in.

I made it to the park by 6:30, stretched and set out on my run. I was determined to make it to Montrose and back via Allen Parkway. Going out of the park and back long should have made the run close to 10 miles. However, things didn't quite happen as planned. About 1 1/2 miles into my run, I began to feel something familiar...a feeling that I had almost forgotten about...but not quite.

A stinkin' blister.


Yep, my brand new Aggie maroon and white shoes were rubbing a blister on the arch of my left foot. I've experienced this was when I was wearing my 3rd or 4th pair of Brook's Ariel. I had been wearing the most recent pair for about 2 months when they decided to start giving me a blister on both arches. The worst was during the 20K! My first 20K, when training for my 1st marathon, at mile 6. Just goes to show that you just never know what can happen on race day. In fact, that was the reason I switched to my Saucony's. I just remember the pain! I remember running the final 9 miles while trying to keep the blisters from rubbing. I was trying to overcompensate for the blisters by shifting my weight to the outsides of my feet, so that area hurt like heck too! Since that day (almost 5 years later), I have carried a blister block pad with me in my fuel belt (thank you for the recommendation Coach Felix!). Unfortunately, I did not wear the fuel belt on Sunday.

So, I tried adjusting my laces, adjusting my socks, etc. to see if it would alleviate some of the rubbing. Nope. Then I ran a little further and then tried to adjust everything again. Then, I just stood there. Me, standing there. At Crestwood and Memorial Dr. Just standing there, trying to decide if I should continue or go back. I continued. I made it all the way to Waugh before I had decided I finally had enough. I turned around feeling mad and defeated. Damn blisters.

But hey, I ran a little further than last week. I still haven't decided what to do about the shoes. I may try switching out the insoles. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be happy and grateful!


JustJunebug said...

see? thats what happens to me with my gel nimbus, but only after a long run, never before that. just on that one arch. personally i think they're too big (as i bought them a full size bigger on purpose) and thats why it does that.

i love them so much though! i just ordered a new pair of them online except in the RIGHT size..heres to hoping.

do like i do if you love them; put a couple of those large square type bandaids on top of each other in that spot. works for me. helps with the lack of friction or whatever it is!

aggie jogger '77 said...

Those shoes must have been touched by something orange at the factory, that is all that I can conceivably imagine would cause you such pain. We probably need to have an excorcism performed on them.