Friday, May 04, 2012

MORE Confessions of a Food-a-holic...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...While I am cleansing my soul with all these confessions, I thought I should come clean about a couple of other food-related items that I forgot to mention yesterday...

I tend to be the human garbage disposal. 


What does this mean?

It means that when the kids are "full", but still have something yummy remaining on their plate, I have been known to eat a bite or two (or three).  Here's an example - my kids love grilled cheese sandwiches.  The best grilled cheese comes from Sonic! Every once in a blue moon, we will stop and get the kids grilled cheese from there.  And, the kids tend to eat everything except the crust.  So, who do you think eats the crust?  That buttery, white bread with just a little melted cheese remaining?


Best.Grilled.Cheese.Ever.

That's right.  I do.

I don't do this with everything the kids eat, but I have caught myself doing this with grilled cheese.  I've also caught myself taking a bite of that last bit of macaroni.  Or cookie.  Or cupcake.  It's a disgusting habit.  It's one that I had to stop.  Please tell me that I am not the only one out there guilty of this!!!

If it's in the house, I will eat it.


I don't even buy junk food anymore.  I can't.  We used to use M&Ms as a potty training reward for the Kiddo.  Who do you think ate most of those?

Yep, that's right.  Me.

If we have chips in the house, and this is rare, they are usually baked.  If we have "real" chips, it's usually because we are hosting an event at our house, but we usually have a great fruit or veggie tray as well.  I almost never buy sweets, even those little 100 calorie packs...I used to catch myself eating 2 or 3 various 100 calorie packs per day. 

Don't get me wrong, I know that it's possible to eat this stuff in moderation and still be healthy.  However, I also know myself - if it's in the house, I will eat it.  I don't have enough will power to eat them in moderation. And let's face it, the kids don't really need this stuff either. 

I used to occasionally buy those cute little 6 oz Ben and Jerry cups.  They were my reward after an especially long run or bike ride.  Unfortunately, with this hip injury, I can't go for a long bike or run, so I had to stop buying these as well.  Sigh.



My kids think they are in heaven with my in-laws come to visit, because my mother-in-law typically brings all kinds of goodies - Chips Ahoy, Oreos, real Cheeto's, real potato chips, etc.  Yes, it annoys me that this stuff is in our house to begin with.  But, I know my mother-in-law means no harm.  And yes, it's okay for the hubby and kids to have a treat every now and then.  However, if these goodies aren't all gone within a couple of days, I usually throw anything that's left in the trash can.

That's right people, I throw perfectly good food away!  It's either in the trash can or on my hips...I prefer the trash can thankyouverymuch!  And not only do I throw food away, I empty whatever it is out of the package into the trashcan.  I'm not saying I will actually take it back out of the trashcan and eat it, but I don't want any temptation whatsoever!

I know, I know....there are starving children in Africa...


I have come to realize that if I eat it, I will beat myself up about it for days. Not to mention that I feel like crap physically, too.  I feel so much better knowing that I got rid of the temptation and had another successful day of eating healthy.  Of course, I still envy the women who can eat a burger at lunch and stay thin.  The women who don't have to workout like crazy to stay thin.  The women who can eat burgers and fries, have a milkshake, not workout and still stay thin.  I, unfortunately, am not one of those women.  I never will be.  Oh well!




So now that I've come clean, I plan to have a few posts next week about food and making better choices. 

Hope you have a great weekend!

What are your food confessions?  Do you have something you just can't resist?  How do you retain control?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I finally lost a very stubborn 5 lbs by doing myfitnesspal.com. It was so successful, that I ended up losing 10 lbs in 65 days. Nothing has ever worked that well for me. I have it on my iPhone & before I put anything in my mouth, I search for the calories, sugar, etc...content. LOVE IT!
The food I can't resist, "skinny cow" ice cream.

My husband is the garbage disposal but he really doesn't have that much of a weight problem. He's got to change his eating somewhat if he ever wants to go to Boston, though!

Teamarcia said...

Oh geez you are so not alone in this. SOmetimes I'm grabbing grilled cheese crusts from the kids before there's only crust left. I too am an all or nothing girl. Once the flood gate is open, it's hard to stop. Better off never starting. Easier said than done. :)

Laura said...

Oh my yes, I can relate. I don't miss chips or cookies/ice cream whatever if it's not in the house, but I will definitely eat it til it's gone when it's here! My one treat that is always around is dark chocolate, but I'm finding myself going overboard there lately too, I think because I've been tired lately and my will power plummets. I'm taking a rest day today to get re-energized and hopefully I can start regaining some control!

Bean said...

I can't have candy or desserts in the house. Or I will eat it all within two days. So instead dessert is a special treat when we go out to eat or after a race or something and if I want something sweet fruit is my only option.

Duckie said...

Today I was struggling to stay awake driving from Houston to Austin after working a much longer night than anticipated. I was falling asleep at the wheel and resorted to the potato chip and juice trick (sugar and crunching seems to help). When I pulled into the campground in Austin, I stopped at the dumpster and threw out all of the remaining potato chips (about 2/3 of the bag) and any remaining juice in the car. It was better than having to take that decision with me into tomorrow. Now I am waiting on my phone to charge a bit so I can go do my long run in the dark. No chance I'll compound the issue by skipping that, too.

Kathy said...

Oh, that's ME all over!!! Now that I'm off my marathon training I need to remind myself that I can no longer eat like Cookie Monster!!
I've got a Sonic less than a quarter mile from my favorite 12 mile route. I can suck down a large Sonic Sunrise faster than you can say brain freeze! Nom!!