Monday, May 14, 2012

Revise the Bucket List?



Do you have a bucket list? For life? For races?

I do.

I have two – one for life in general. It includes things like ride in a hot air balloon, travel to Giza, travel to a wildlife preserve in Kenya, see the Taj Mahal, go to a game at Fenway, etc. The second is for races / athletic events. Here’s what that one looks like:
  1. Big-Five Marathon
  2. Marine Corps Marathon (preferably with the Hubby)
  3. Disney Goofy Challenge (this one is for fun, not time)
  4. Nike Women’s Marathon (or ½)
  5. Avenue of the Giants Marathon
  6. Big Sur Marathon
  7. Possibly as many of the 5 big ones – I’ve done Chicago and NYC, I’d like to do Berlin and London. Unless I race for a charity, I will probably never do Boston...but, I'd like to at least spectate (and get in that game at Fenway!)
  8. A 70.3 distance race, preferably Ironman 70.3 Texas in Galveston.
  9. The RTC 2012 Viva Bike Vegas Gran Fondo
  10. A 50K and 50 miler (maybe a local race, like Rocky Racoon
On Saturday, I met up for breakfast with running peeps, Pam and Julie. I ran with both of these ladies and Runner C last year while training for the NYC Marathon. Julie also ran with me at Stupid Thirty on Wednesdays. I have really missed this crew! I miss our conversations during our runs (usually about everything except running) and our chit chat over coffee after our runs (usually about running). Little did I know back in November after NYC, that I would not be running with them again for over 5 months!

Julie happens to be an anesthesiologist and knows Orthopedic #2 from working with him in the OR. She speaks very highly of him and his knowledge, so I feel like I am in good hands with him and his medical advice. She also gave me a “Get that damn injection already!” speech. She is very good at putting things into perspective and could also explain all the hoopla surrounding the cortisone injection - the anasthesia, the OR, the recovery, etc.  Let’s face it folks, this week marks the 5 month anniversary of when the hip pain began. Seriously, people have recovered from hip surgery faster than I have recovered from whatever this is! It’s frustrating.

Julie and I also talked about our racing bucket lists. She has been running and doing triathlons for several years, but the Houston Marathon in January was her 1st ever marathon. She was selected in the lotto for the NYC Marathon this November and is excited about going. However, she is also experiencing hip pain. It’s different from mine, but her hope is that she can continue training, finish NYC and then worry about the hip pain. Fingers crossed!

After sharing stories of our stubborn injuries, she finally said, “Hey, you may just have to revise your bucket list.” If I truly have arthritis, there’s not a hell of a lot I can do about it. Yes, there are meds, but they only help mask the pain. They don’t heal.

I am typically a “don’t you dare tell me what I can’t do, cause I’ll prove you wrong!” kind of person. But, maybe Julie is right. Maybe I will have to re-evaluate. What if I can’t run farther than a ½ marathon without experiencing pain again? Will I have to stick to sprint distance triathlons? What if I have to just accept that I won’t get faster, because getting faster is too demanding for my stupid hip?

I am not quite ready to throw in the towel. Not yet. I am trying the homeopathic options and if that doesn’t help, I will have the injection. If that doesn’t work, then yes, maybe I will have to revise the bucket list. Sigh. Sometimes we don’t always get what we want. Sometimes life gives you lemons and you have make lemonade. And hey, there are half-marathons in some cool locations.





“We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.” 
~ Dolly Parton 


It's not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life; it is how you handle what happens to you.
~ Zig Ziglar


What's on your life's bucket list?  Your running/racing bucket list?  Have you had to adjust the sails?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

My son has that T-shirt!!
Hard to say what can happen with with pain and injuries - hang in there.
Big Sur just put up their slideshow of the race - check it out - and I'll bet you'll bump it up a bit on your bucket list!!
http://www.bsim.org/Photos_Media___More/Photo_Galleries/Photogallery_2012.htm

Duckie said...

Ironically, I am entered in the Marine Corp Marathon this year. I entered last year but had to defer my entry when I hurt myself. I have no idea if I will end up running it but it was simple to keep the option open. I do kind of feel like I should since it's so hard to get into, but wow, 26.2 may as well be 100 right now. 10 is all I'm up to for my long runs these days.

Most of the things on my bucket list are related to travel and leisure, mostly because I feel like if I don't write them down, I'll never get to them!! I am far more confident I will swimbikerun like a fiend for years to come but not so confident I will see the world. That would be a shame. Maybe I should start picking races overseas!!

Don't place definitions on what your future limitations might be. I was told I would never be able to run at all with my knee but that has proven to be the least of my issues!! (Never mind that it took two surgeries and years of recovery to get to this point!) I've got my fingers crossed for you!!

Lisa said...

Bart Yasso recently posted on facebook that if he was told that he could only do one more marathon that it would have to be "Big Sur". I have to say, it's been bumped up on my list.

Hang in there. Praying for you. ;-)

saroy said...

I've wanted to do Big Sur ever since I lived out there in 2001-2002 -- which was right around the time I started running in the first place. So gorgeous.

Teamarcia said...

I love this post. We share lots of the same bucket items! My big goal was to run the 5 marathon majors and I've done 2 of them twice, however I feel my passion for the rest waning...at least right now. I think its wise to adjust the sails as we go.