Friday, December 15, 2006

Good Luck!

Good luck to everyone running the Houston Fit 21-miler tomorrow!!! Go kick some ass out there on the trails!

The weather is 100% better than it was last year, so that's great news!

Last year's 21-miler will forever be etched in my memory. It was 39/40 degrees with drizzling rain the entire time. I wore what I thought was a waterproof jacket, which turned out to only be water resistant - BIG DIFFERENCE PEOPLE! I wore shorts instead of tights and I did not bring a plastic bag. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. But also an experience that I am most proud of - I finished! There were so many opportunities to throw in the towel, and trust me, I really wanted to. In fact, I think more than 1/2 our group did call it quits at some point that morning. We were soaked and the mud did not make for optimal running conditions. When we made it back to the park, one of the Houston Fit coaches put little plastic toy medals around our necks to congratulate us. I still have that little medal. It sits proudly among all my real marathon medals. I have to admit, it's the one I am most proud of! When I returned home that morning, my hubby just looked at me in awe when I told him I had finished. He said that he just knew I would be back home within an hour of leaving. He also said, "Wow! You could be a Navy Seal!"...in the hubby's mind, that was a HUGE complement. :-) He had been watching shows the week before about Navy Seal training and the toughest obstacle for some was braving the elements. While I don't think that run was Seal worthy, it was a sweet thing to say. By the way, I keep a plastic $1 store rain poncho in my truck at all times now...just in case!

2 comments:

Junie B said...

there were ALOT of em out there thats for sure!! i guess i didnt realize their loop route and found myself right smack dab in the middle of em for quite a bit, then running against them as i headed back to Memorial Park...
it was HUUUUUUUUUUUMID out there this morning!!

WalkSports.com said...

I ran the cool weather fest last December with Jen Kim.

Probably saw you out there and didn't know it.

I did my humid miles today in Florida. Bring back the cold weather like Sunmart last weekend. :)