Sunday, August 19, 2007


Saturday, I finally had the opportunity to get in a group run with Houston Fit - my first one since the program started up again last month. I almost thought it would be my last. Since the hubby had to work Friday night, the kiddo and I had to spend the night at my parent's house. The kiddo woke up about 5 minutes before my alarm clock was scheduled to go off (4:50 am). Naturally, she was not asleep when I had to get up and get dressed which meant my Mom had to lay down with her...which had the kiddo in tears, crying "Mommy! Mommy!" as I was walking out the door. Talk about the Mommy guilt! Ugh! On the entire drive to the park, I was thinking that I was not ever going to do that again. Luckily, by the time I got to the park and started running, I was feeling less guilty. :-)

First, it was great to see the peeps again! It almost made me forget about the 80 degree heat and the 387% humidity. Almost, but not quite. I was able to catch up with my buds from training years past and had a chance to talk to quite a few newer folks, too. I have to admit, after 2 weeks of no long runs at and only running indoors (spordically in the last few weeks thanks to school), it was tough. My inconsistency in training had caught up to me. But, it felt great to be back out there too. I did take an extra walk break on Blossom near Crestwood when I bonked. And, when we were almost at the park, I almost lost my contact! I'm sure I looked funny standing there to the side of the trail trying to get it back in. I finally just said screw it and ran the remainder of the run with my contact on the tip of my finger. If I wasn't so incredibly blind, I would have just tossed the thing. I finally finished the run, so for that, I am glad! I'm hoping that when school gets back to the every-other-weekend thing again for the fall, I'll be able to be a little more consistent in my training and start doing tempo and speed work again. After my run, I had a chance to see JD's awesome, new Mini!!! If my mommy-mobile wasn't almost paid off, I might be tempted to go check'em out.

After the run, I did the usual grocery shopping and had lunch with my Mom. Later, we headed to Baytown for a going away party for a friend's son who is a Marine and heading back to Iraq. My cousin, Ron, is also heading back to I raq next week for work. Godspeed to both Seth and Ron...stay safe over there!

Here's a re-cap of all the week's workouts:

8 miles @ ~12:15 pace (I forgot the Garmin, so I don't know if that's correct. I know we were pretty slow though!)

Rest day

21:50 on treadmill (2 miles/10:55 pace)
45 minutes of Slim in 6 (arms, legs, abs & glutes!!!)

30 minute tempo run (2.7 miles/11:06 pace)

20 minutes in AM (1.73 miles/11:30 pace...feeling slow)
22 minutes in PM (2 miles/11 pace)

Still on vacation!


barbara said...

Seemed like every blog I read this weekend had something to do with melting in the heat.

I did a quick 16 minutes this morning to warm up for weights and it was 89% humidity again. But we're so close to September, and I know it will start to back off a little then.


Viv said...

Glad you got to get out and run with the group. I know that mommy guilt can be rough. I am excited for the running clinic next month so I can train with others. Have a great week!

jamoosh said...

Hey Babe - it was great seeing you out at the park. It had been awhile. And I think humidity was actually at 394%...