Saturday, March 28, 2009

Gotta Run!

The weather was awesome on Saturday, so I was really looking forward to my afternoon long run. The kiddos and I got to begin enjoying the day early, by going to the neighborhood Easter celebration. I pushed the baby in the stroller to the park and the kiddo rode her bike. During our walk, I felt a weird feeling - my achilles felt, well, weird. Not pain, just weird. It didn't hurt, so I just pushed the thought out of my head. We had a great time and made it home in time for some grocery shopping and lunch.

When the hubby arrived home from work, I headed out for my run around the 'hood. I wanted to get in between 7 & 8 miles as my last run before the 1/2 marathon. I decided to get a bit adventurous and jog the extra mile around the currently-being-developed section of the neighborhood - that would make my loop a little more than 4-miles. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but as I was jogging around the deserted streets, I realized that anyone could just zoom around the corner, throw me in a van and I could never be seen again. About that time a Hummer came zooming around the corner. Talk about picking up the pace, lol! I decided that on my 2nd loop around the neighborhood, I would not go this way...maybe 7 miles would be okay.

As I got closer to our house (a/k/a "home base"), I noticed the achilles acting up again. Again, not pain...just uncomfortable this time. I didn't like it. I refilled my hand-held bottle with the gatorade I left on the front porch and kept going. In hindsight, I probably should have stopped here. But no, I did another loop - 3+ miles this time. By the time I made it back home, there was pain. I immediately iced and took an Aleve. The pain was still there that evening, so I grabbed the 800mg of Ibuprofen that the Dr had prescribed after I had the baby. That seemed to help! I iced again later that night.

Oh, and when I came home it seemed that the hubby had contracted whatever stomach flu the kiddo had on Thursday. He even had fever, aches and chills! Yuck!

Tomorrow - bike ride after the hubby gets home from work...if he gets to go to work.

No comments: