Monday, January 29, 2007

Whirlwind weekend...

This weekend was fun, but way busier than I'd like.

Friday after work I went to a social for my school's "Graduate Student Association". This was the 1st time I've attended one of these social events. It always seems like I have a test the next day, or the hubby and I have other plans. It was fun to mingle with the other grad students and profs. I am hoping to be more active with this organization and make the most of everything the grad school experience has to offer.

Saturday, I had class from 8 - 5. Afterwards, I met a few girlfriends for dinner and a movie. I was actually thinking about not going, but the hubby assured me that he and the kiddo could survive for a few more hours without me...of course, that didn't stop the mommy-guilt from kicking in about the time the kiddo's bedtime rolled around. Despite that, I had a great time catching up with all the happenings in my friend's lives. We had yummy Tex-Mex at Cyclone Anaya's...you know me - any excuse for a margarita! Then, we went to see "The Departed". It was a great movie and Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing. I've always thought he was a cutie, but never thought of him as a serious actor until "The Aviator". Then, I thought it was just a fluke, but he proved himself once more in The Departed. One word of warning...it is very violent in a Sopranos or Reservior Dogs kind of way. I used to not mind all the violence so much. However, since becoming the parent (or maybe it's me getting older), I seem to have less of a tolerance for that stuff. But, overall, it is a well-written, well-acted movie and I can understand all the Oscar hype.

Sunday, Kay and I met at Memorial Park for an 8-mile run. The weather was awesome!!! I hadn't watched the news in a few days, so I was caught off guard by the low temps (39!). I had to run back inside the house to get a long sleeve shirt and gloves. The one thing I learned from yesterday's run - the Garmin works great...when you remember to start the timer! Doh! We ran 8 miles starting at the tennis center to Memorial to Waugh (via Memorial) and back (via Allen Parkway). On the way back to the park, I made a quick pit stop at Starbucks. As I was waiting to use the bathroom, I stopped the timer. I didn't realize that I forgot to start it again until we were almost at Crestwood. Whoops! Again, I feel like I was running at a much better pace thanks to Kay. If I were by myself, I know I would have run slower or taken more walk breaks.

The rest of Sunday was spent with the family. The kiddo and I went to playgroup and the grocery store, then my sister-in-law and nephews stopped by. The oldest nephew is gearing up to run track again this year and may join me for a few 5K or 10K races this Spring. It's great to have another runner in the family!

Running Stats
Location - Memorial Park
Conditions - 40 w/no humidity
Total run time - approx 1 hr, 33 min
Total distance - 8.39
Pace - 11:05

3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice running, girl.

Anne said...

I'm glad someone else finds 39 degrees to be "low temp." I've heard very good things about that movie too.

Junie B said...

hey by any chance are you Strider'ing it on Wednesday at 7???