Thursday, July 16, 2009

Green Monsters and a Lack of Energy

This is a week of new stuff for me...first it was Nighclub Cardio and today it's the GREEN MONSTER! A big thank you to both Michelle and Jenna for posting about the Green Monster. Here's what I used for mine:

1 cup skim milk
1 frozen banana
1 tbsp peanut butter
4 cups spinach (from the produce section...don't use frozen!)
1 scoop of chocolate-flavored protein powder
Ice

Just put everything in the blender and you have this:

ready to roll......




Yeah, it looks weird, but I promise it is really yummy! I'd like to try different variations of this and figure out what I like best...maybe almond milk instead of regular skim, almond butter instead of PB, other types of fruit, other flavors of protein powder...the possibilities are endless! I was finding that even though I am eating 3 meals a day, plus snacks that are high in protein, I had trouble getting in all the protein I needed...so, that's why I decided to try this little concoction.

Oh and just a few tips - 1) peel the banana before you put it in the freezer...just sayin'...yeah, I am an Aggie); 2) Use fresh or bagged spinach - do not use frozen, because I read it makes the shake disgustingly thick; and 3) the GM doesn't taste so great after sitting in the fridge all day...I didn't want to drink the entire thing (too many calories), so I decided to save some for later. Don't do it.

As for my workouts today, I hopped on the treadmill after the kiddos were asleep for some intervals. I was on my 7th and final 2 minute interval and 10 seconds away from my cooldown when the power in our upstairs gameroom went off. I found myself standing on the treadmill in the dark wondering "What the hell just happened?". The lights in the kid's rooms were still on (they both sleep with nightlights) and the downstairs lights were on. I headed over to the breaker box and sure enough - I managed to trip the breaker. Okay, I'll admit - the TV was on (even though I can't really see or hear it), there was a lamp on, and the ceiling fan was going. I got back on the treadmill for my cool down and after about 4 minutes, it happened again! I don't know why this is happening now, after running on this same treadmill in the same room, plugged into the same outlet, with the same tv and lamp on for the past year. Maybe I'll try running in the dark next time. Any clue?

So yeah, I almost finished my 30-something minute run...but not quite. I know that before my cool down (@ a 10:57 pace), my overall pace was right around 10:25, but that's all I know.

Workout Stats
Treadmill run, 30-something minutes, ~3 miles, 10-something pace

No comments: