Friday, July 17, 2009

Thursday Spin & Swim

I've been staying up too late, which makes for a very sleepy day. Fortunately, lunchtime spin wakes me up for the afternoon at work and my after work swim wakes me up for the commute home!

Spin was the usual grueling hour. Thanks to Richard this week for the "hillwork"!




Another new thing this week - I went to the Downtown Y for my swim. It took me a little while to figure out the logistics...where it's located, where to park, etc. I've driven past it hundreds of times, but never really paid attention to its exact location. Once I got inside the building, I asked where the pool was and where the dressing rooms were...what I didn't know is that I didn't have to go all the way to the dressing rooms on the 3rd floor, because there are dressing rooms on the 1st floor - attached to the pool area. Doh!


Let me just tell you - the 3rd floor dressing rooms are huge - think: labyrinth of lockers. Seriously, I was afraid to explore too much for fear of getting lost. I was one of 2 people in there and I'll admit, it was a bit creepy. I changed clothes then went to the restroom and as I was walking out, I saw a much older lady (think little silver-haired grandma), crawling out of the showers.


Crawling, as in on the floor.


Naked!


My 1st instinct was to run the other way...sorry, too much Twilight Zone as a kid I guess! Instead, I asked her if she was okay (while trying not to look at her). She insisted that she was fine, she was just trying to look at the clock on the wall to see what time it was. I walked out of there as fast as I could...before running into anymore butt naked people crawling on the floor.


I made it to the 1st floor, found the pool...and the 1st floor dressing room. This dressing room was much smaller and less creepy. I entered the pool area and noticed it was much smaller than I thought it would be. There was a really cool-looking mosaic on the wall and a 4 or 5 lane lap pool. There was a water aerobics class going on in a couple of the lanes, so that just left 2 lanes for lap swimming. There was someone in both, so I decided on one and hopped in. I don't know why, but the water seemed different to me - it tasted and smelled different...maybe because the place is so old? I dunno. The pool served its purpose - lap swimming - and that's all that mattered! For whatever reason, I have no clue whatsoever of how many laps I did. And while the downtown Y is old, the architecture of the building is amazing! I know they're building a new Y, but I hope they don't tear down this building completely!



Workout Stats

Spin Class - 1 hour of hell

Swim - 40 minutes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok...your story "had" me at the labyrinth of lockers, that was scary but the lady, OMG, I was laughing and crying at the same time! How could you talk to her without looking at her. Also, how could you finish your workout? That was a perfect "Monday" story. Thanks for the laugh??!