Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hot & Steamy

Since I knew Saturday would be full of activity due to my nephew's high school graduation and party, I decided to get my "long run" done on Friday night. Again.

Once more, I hit the streets of the 'hood wanting to get in 6 miles. I didn't leave until almost 8 pm, so I knew I needed to htfu in order to make it home before it got too dark. Last week I started out too fast, but I managed to finished my 5-miler in 11:05 pace...still a little fast for me and I was pooped afterwards. So, this week I purposely slowed down...so much for htfu, lol!

In my 1st 3-mile loop around the 'hood I met up with a rabbit, a turtle and a couple of really loud frogs, lol. There were a few walkers out, but other than that it was just me and the sidewalks. Finished the 1st loop @ an 11:32 pace. I decided to pick it up for the last couple of miles on my 2nd loop - overall pace ended up at 11:27 - negative split, WHOOT! Okay, so slower than I meant to go, but better than starting out at an 10:50 pace and then losing steam at the end. I have a bad habit of going out too fast in races, then losing it at the end. My goal is to get faster in the 2nd 1/2 and get the negative split!

Also, I've graduated from the 5/1s that I've done for the past few years. I have been running my shorter weekday runs straight through and doing 9/1 intervals on my long runs. The goal here? To graduate from 9/1 to a walk at each mile to only walking when absolutely necessary.

I'll get there. Eventually.

No comments: