Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, Monday

Bad news - I had a dentist appointment yesterday morning.

Good news - It gave me time to get in a morning, OUTDOOR run before taking the kiddos to school! Yiiipppeee!

Since the tri is this weekend, I decided to go ahead and do my speedwork today rather than wait until Wednesday. It's been a couple of weeks since I've done speedwork of any kind, so I decided not to get too crazy.... I was going to do 6x2 min with 1 minute recovery, but felt pretty good after the 6 and added one more. The 1st thing I noticed was the cooler temps...then again, anything is better than the 90-degree evenings I've been running in. However, I also noticed the increase humidity! It's definitely less humid in the evenings. Oh well, you can't have it all!

I started with a nice, easy 10-minute warm-up, then did my intervals, followed by a 10-minute cool down. I focused on shortening my stride and taking quick steps. In fact, I was repeating the words "quick. short. steps." in my head over and over, although I didn't realize it until I was almost done, lol! My overall pace? 10:39.

Funny how my "speedwork" pace for 3 miles is slower than my 2-mile brick pace!

Why is it that when I hop off my bike and then run, I feel I must start at a 9-something pace? But when I just run, I can only start at a 10-something pace?

Weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you get off of your bike, you are already warmed up.

Sarah said...

Christy, I do the same thing when I start running after biking! I take off way too fast and have to slow way down within the first quarter mile. I think it's just excitement. :)

Funnyrunner said...

temperature makes the biggest difference, doesn't it?