Friday, June 26, 2009

Swimming with Sharks

Okay, not so much. I was actually swimming with children. Lots of them!

Our pool officially "closes" at 8 pm - meaning the lifeguards leave. Our neighborhood pool does allow residents to swim anytime they please, but in the "off" hours and everyone there is swimming at their own risk. So I head to the pool at 8 pm.

Holy crowds Batman!

The pool was full of people!

I swam a little, but decide to hang out a bit and see if people start leaving. A few do, but for the most part there are still a lot of kids there. I finally see an open space in the "lap lane" area (no ropes just the line at the bottom of the pool), so I go for it. I get in about 200 yards before kids overtake the area. Then, I spot another open area close to the wall. I head over there and hammer out 350 non-stop yards. Woohoo! I do have to dodge a couple of kids along the way, but I figure that's good practice for Sunday's tri. LOL. My goal is to do this 3 times, with a recovery in between. I rest for a couple of minutes and begin again. Two girls who were standing in the middle of the pool talking, decide they want to talk in the lane I am trying to swim in. Grrrrr....so, off I move to a different area. I get in about 200 yds non-stop and then have to stop so a kid can grab his beachball.

Next was the worst part. Since the lifeguards are gone for the day, a bunch of kids felt the need to climb up to the lifeguard chair and jump off of it into the pool. Since I am swimming, I have no idea this is happening. And, I just happen to be swimming in the lane closest to the lifeguard chair. All of a sudden I hear the sound of someone who has jumped into the pool. From the life guard chair. About 1 inch from me. That was it, I decided to call it a day. I understand that our neighborhood pool is a recreational pool. From now on I will stick to the Y. However, I do not understand why parents allow their kids to climb all over the lifeguard stand (which is pretty high up) and allow them to jump off. Our pool at it's deepest is only 4 feet 6 inches...

Oh well.

So that was it. My last swim before the tri on Sunday. Not really what I was hoping for, but live and learn.

Workout Stats
Swimming - around 800 yds? Lost count.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I would have done something as stupid as jump off the life guard chair and almost nail someone in the pool my parents would have beat the snot out of me.